Mixing grains with a bed of vegetables and spices and a tinge of lemon zest is a great way to bring some Spanish fun onto our table. To make this paella you will need,
A veggie paella
- 400g red rice
- 2 parsnips
- 1 onion
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 120ml vegetable stock
- 150g peas
- 150g organic chickpeas
- 3 red peppers
- 2 large tomatoes
- Oil for cooking
- Zest of two lemons
- 3 chili peppers, one lime to decorate the dish
- A handful of fresh parsley
- Step 1 Start by preparing your vegetables that need to be roasted. Peel the parsnips and slice them lengthwise, place them on a baking dish add a dash of oil, set aside, wash the peppers, slice them and place on another dish, add some oil and roast both vegetables for around 20 minutes.
- Step 2 Wash the red rice and cook according to instructions on packet. I removed the rice when it was quite al dente as it will be added to the veg and stock.
- Step 3 Cook the chickpeas according to the instructions on packet and set aside. Slice the tomatoes and set aside. Get a nice large pan, peel your onion and add some oil and cook, add the spices and toss the onion until cooked. Add the rice, the stock and the peas and let the peas cook, keep mixing the rice until peas are cooked but not soft.
- Step 4 Add the vegetables, chickpeas and tomatoes, season and keep mixing. Squeeze the lemon juice over the rice and season.
- Step 5 Slice the peppers and grill to add as a garnish. Remember to wash your hands after as the chili remains on your finger tips and it burns. Slice the lime and add to the dish too and sprinkle the fresh parsley and some more paprika.
- Step 6 With these quantities you may serve 6 to 8 portions.