Finding fresh mackerel proved to be extremely difficult and just as I gave up, my lovely mum informed me that one of the fish vendors at the farmers market was selling them. I was so pleasantly surprised one Tuesday morning when the door bell rang and to my sheer excitement a bag of twelve fresh mackerel known as Kavalli in Maltese were delivered to my door. The smell of the Mediterranean sea oozed out of the bag much to my delight and all they needed was some olive oil and seasoning before baking them. To make this recipe you will need the following,
- 6 mackerel, ( I suggest 1 fish per person)
- Olive oil
- A few olives and tomatoes
- Some fresh pesto.
- Step 1 Get a baking tray and some parchment paper. Lay the fish on the parchment paper, add some olive oil, roughly chop the olives and tomatoes and add two tablespoons of the pesto and rub this over the fish.
- Step 2 Place in the oven at 160C for around 15 to 20 minutes. Pierce the fish with a knife if in doubt, fish should be tender.
- Step 3 Once cooled, remove the heads, slice off the bones on the sides and cut down the middle to remove the large bone, being a small fish they have quite a few bones but worth the patience to remove them.
- Step 4 You may make a salad to serve however I boiled some rice and added more fresh pesto to the rice and some cherry tomatoes.
- Step 5