Feeling cold is part of the winter blues however I do enjoy these wonderful winter days where time in the kitchen next to a warm stove is actually one of the nicest places to be. I felt like a nice warm stew and after covering a whole topic on a healthy heart in my online food course, where vegetables are essential, so I decided to make a vegetable stew as we now need our ten a day to maintain well being. To make this delicious stew you will need,
Stews to warm you up
- ½ pkt quinoa
- 2 celery sticks
- 1 leak
- 1tsp turmeric
- 1tbsp ground cumin
- 1tsp dried chilies
- 300g fresh tomato sauce
- 200ml vegetable stock
- 200g Portobello mushrooms
- 1 lime
- 200g organic kidney beans
- Olive oil
- 250g organic chicken breast (optional)
- Step 1 Cook the quinoa according to instructions on the packet. I only used half the packet however cooked the whole packet and used the rest for another meal. Saving time is key in the kitchen. Set aside.
- Step 2 Get a nice deep pot and add some oil. Add your washed and chopped leak and celery sticks and add to the pan. Start cooking. Add the turmeric, cumin and chili’s and let everything cook on a medium heat. Add a little bit of the stock if ingredients in pan too dry. If you are not using canned kidney beans make sure they have been soaked and cooked as required.
- Step 3 Add your washed and chopped mushroom to the pan and continue cooking. After around ten minutes your celery should be cooked and you can add the stock and tomato sauce. Season and let all simmer for another 15 minutes until veg is cooked but not mushy. Add the quinoa, cooked kidney beans and juice of the lime. Switch off and let it just rest for a while.
- Step 4 I also grilled some chicken breast and added this to the stew however it is optional.
- Step 5 With these quantities I served between four and five generous portions.