It’s been a couple of weeks since I actually managed to write any recipes however I have a few exciting ones to share. I came home from a picnic and opened the fridge, saw a generous bowl of mashed potato and gnocchi came to mind. I also had a lovely bunch of fresh spinach and this is how this delicious recipe came to be. To make the gnocchi you will need,
- 200g spinach
- A handful of fresh parsley
- 450g mashed potatoes or boil, peel and roughly chop your potatoes.
- 1 egg
- 200g semolina
- Some flour for dusting
- Tomato sauce.
- 3 cloves garlic
- 800g tomatoes
- Some fresh marjoram
- Some sun dried tomatoes
- Either Parmesan cheese or nutritional yeast
- Coconut oil
- Step 1 Gnocchi.
- Step 2 If you don’t have mash potato in the fridge, boil the potatoes and let them cool or preferably use them a day later as it is easier to make the gnocchi when the potato is chilled.
- Step 3 Wash the spinach remove the stalks and dry well. Get your blender and blend the spinach and washed parsley thoroughly. Add the spinach to your mashed potatoes, together with the beaten egg and seasoning and mix all the ingredients together. Add the semolina and mix with a spoon once more.
- Step 4 Tip the mixture onto a floured surface and if you notice the gnocchi mixture to be slightly wet add more flour. Knead the gnocchi and roll into a long sausage. Cut in half and set one half aside.
- Step 5 Slice small pieces off, roll into some flour with your hands and make your gnocchi. Set aside. Whilst you are making your gnocchi, get a wide deep pan, fill with water and let it boil. Once the water is boiling add your gnocchi a few at a time and watch as they eventually rise to the top. Remove from the pot and place on a plate until all the gnocchi are cooked.
- Step 6 Tomato Sauce.
- Step 7 Once this is happening prepare your sauce. Get a pan, add some oil, peel and chop your garlic and marjoram and cook. Wash the tomatoes, slice and add to the pan. Let them simmer. Roughly chop the sun-dried tomatoes, add to the pan and carry on simmering. Once the sauce is cooked, season and add the cooked gnocchi to the tomato sauce together with the parmesan cheese or nutritional yeast. With these quantities I made 25 gnocchi and froze the other half of the gnocchi for when I am pushed for time. Enjoy, I did.