One of my favourites I have to say. I simply love a dish of baked rice sprinkled with pecorino cheese, it is so delicious and comforting. To make this dish you will need,
- 500g Basmati rice
- Cooking oil
- 1kilo minced fresh beef (Mixed with a Maltese sausage and some gammon)
- 1 aubergine
- 2 jars tomato sauce
- 1 jar sun-dried pesto
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 eggs
- 200g grated cheese preferably pecorino
- Step 1 Peel and chop your onion, add some oil to a pan and cook your onion together with your peeled and chopped clove of garlic. Add the minced beef and cook it until it is nicely browned.
- Step 2 Add the tomato sauce to the meat and let it simmer for around one hour. Add the sun-dried pesto, bay leaves and seasoning. Let the sauce simmer for another half an hour and the meat will be nicely cooked and tender.In a separate pan, wash, and chop your aubergine and cook it, then add the aubergine to the sauce for that extra flavour.
- Step 3 Wash the rice in cold water, strain and place it in a pot, add the sauce and mix everything together. Get a small bowl and beat the two eggs plus the grated cheese and add to the rice and sauce. Mix everything together.
- Step 4 Grease a dish or better still grease two smaller dishes to save one for a rainy day. Place your rice in a baking dish and add water to the dish so the rice cooks in the sauce and liquid. I make sure that half the dish is covered in water.
- Step 5 Place in the oven at 160C and bring out after 20 minutes and stir the rice well to make sure it is cooked evenly. Repeat this once more after another 15/20 minutes and sprinkle some more cheese at the top. Remove your baked rice from the oven and set aside for when needed.
- Step 6 With these quantities you can serve eight portions.