Looking at my fresh basil side by side with my jar of chestnuts I wondered what the taste of them mixed together would be like and I have to say I was very happy with the outcome. To make this recipe you will need,
Chestnut pesto with barley.
- 120ml olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 large bunch of fresh basil
- 450g cooked chestnuts
- Fresh pepper
- Juice of one lime
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 400g fresh tomatoes
- 1 bunch fresh sage
- 3 tbs nutritional yeast (If you are not vegan, add some grated parmesan cheese)
- 250g barley
- 200g chickpeas
- 100g lentils
- Step 1 Cook your barley according to the instructions on the packet. Boil your lentils in a separate pot and your chestnuts need to be cooked for the pesto. I just boil them in water until soft.
- Step 2 Get a baking dish and add your washed and roughly chopped tomatoes together with some oil, salt and fresh sage. Roast them at 160C for around twenty five minutes.
- Step 3 Get your blender and add your peeled garlic and basil and blend. Add the oil and chestnuts and blend again, adding the fresh pepper, smoked paprika, juice of your lime and Parmesan cheese or nutritional yeast.
- Step 4 Add half of your pesto to your cooked barley, add the cooked lentils and chickpeas and roast tomatoes and serve.
- Step 5 Place the rest of your pesto in a jar and keep in the fridge for another dish.
- Step 6 With these quantities you can serve six portions.