This was one of the recipes that was used in the Served magazine, I was asked to create a few recipes using grains, this was the first dish I prepared, it is a great dish full of colours and lots of wonderful flavours. I held my breath as I removed the stainless steel shape keeping it all together as the photographer was already working away. Luckily it did me proud and kept together. This dish is the perfect starter or main using seasonal vegetables and ideal for any vegetarian or vegan. To make this recipe you will need,
A roast pumpkin and beetroot delight.
- 250g freekeh grain
- 800g pumpkin peeled and chopped
- 200g turnip
- Coconut oil
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Juice of two oranges
- Fresh rosemary
- 200g cooked beetroots
- 1 tbsp mint sauce
- A handful of fresh basil
- Step 1 Cook the freekeh according to the instructions on the packet. Set aside.
- Step 2 Place the peeled and chopped pumpkin and turnip on a roasting dish, pour some coconut oil over the veg, add the peeled garlic cloves, the honey and rosemary and some seasoning and roast until veg is cooked.
- Step 3 Place the cooked beetroots, basil and mint sauce in a blender and blend until you have a puree.
- Step 4 Add the orange juice to the vegetables, mix and add the freekeh. Layer some freekeh and veg and add the beetroot puree, add more freekeh and some more beetroot. You can also mix all ingredients together if you prefer.
- Step 5 You may serve four generous portions or prepare smaller quantities as starters with these quantities.