Spices are to food what food is to us, nourishing and delicious. This barley dish is very comforting and tasty and I recommend this kind of food as you are busy preparing for the festivities. To make this dish you will need,
barley with a middle Eastern twist
- 1 onion
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 80g pine nuts
- 120g green lentils
- 1 tbsp honey
- 190g organic sun- dried pesto
- 250g pearl barley
- 100g raisins
- 80g fresh kale
- Coconut oil
- Step 1 Start by cooking the barley as per instructions on packet, strain and set aside.
- Step 2 Chop up the kale, place it on a baking dish and add some olive oil and rock salt and roast for around 15 minutes at 160C. Remove and set aside.
- Step 3 Cook the lentils in a pot of hot water until cooked. Strain and set aside.
- Step 4 Peel your onion and chop, add to your pan with some coconut oil and cook the onion. Sprinkle the oregano and cumin and mix together. Add the pine nuts and the raisins and keep mixing on a low heat. Finally add your organic sun-dried pesto and give the ingredients one last stir.
- Step 5 Add your lentils and barley and mix all together. Crumble the kale over the barley and dig in.
- Step 6 With these quantities you can serve five generous portions.