What a wonderful way to celebrate the Earth season by receiving a delivery of fresh vegetables, grown from the soil symbolising the abundance of Mother Earth that supports our well being.
‘Late summer the ability to return to and operate from a strong sense of center and self worth. Like the soil that feed us and the ground that locates us in time and space and imparts stability, the power to think, nurture and sustain.’
Red rice delight with an almond pesto
- Farmer’s Deli provided me with the following vegetables and red rice and I used the following quantities,
- 5 salsify
- 4 parsnips
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 100g fresh basil
- 100g fresh parsley
- 250g red rice
- 150g almonds in their shell
- 2 organic chicories
- From my kitchen I used,
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 lemons
- 70g anchovies
- 8 cherry tomatoes
- 120ml olive oil
- coconut oil
- Step 1 Cook the red rice according to the instructions on the packet and set aside.
- Step 2 Wash the salsify and remove the soil, peel them with a potato peeler, slice them into two or three and place them on a baking tray with some coconut oil. Peel the parsnips and slice into thinner pieces and add them to the salsify. Slice a lemon and add to the baking dish, season and sprinkle some more coconut oil and bake for around 25 minutes until veg is cooked through. I baked them at 160C fan assisted.
- Step 3 Wash and slice the sweet potatoes and cook them on a griddle pan for a couple of minutes until cooked. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Step 4 Slice the chicory down the middle and remove the leaves and add them to a griddle pan with some coconut oil and toss them for a minute, just to colour and soften them.
- Step 5 Squeeze your lemon and set aside. To remove the almonds from their shell, give them a good knock with a meat pounder to break the shell and then remove the almonds. Get your blender and peel the garlic and add to your blender together with the basil, parsley and half the olive oil and lemon juice and almonds and blend for a couple of minutes until all the ingredients look like a green paste. Add the tomatoes and anchovies and the rest of the oil and pulse a couple of times. You can add more oil should you need to.
- Step 6 Add the almond pesto to the rice mix well and add the vegetables. Serve and enjoy. With these quantities I produced 5 generous servings of rice.