Wimbledon fever makes me dream of tea and sponge with strawberries. This is one treat that is always around when we celebrate birthdays and occasions. My mum made this delicious sponge and here is her recipe.
Victoria Sponge with strawberries and cream.
- 200g unsalted butter
- 150g caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 medium eggs
- 200g self raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Icing sugar for dusting.
- Fresh cream
- Step 1 Heat oven to 170C fan. Grease your baking tin and set aside.
- Step 2 Place the butter, sugar and vanilla extract into a bowl and beat well to a creamy consistency. Break the eggs and add them on a low speed, then fold in the flour and baking powder with a metal spoon.
- Step 3 Place the mixture into your cake tin, around 25cm diameter and bake for around 25 minutes. The cake should spring back when gently pushed in the middle. When ready remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Step 4 Remove the cake from the tin and place it on a wire rack. In the meantime beat up your fresh cream and wash and hull your strawberries.
- Step 5 Cut your cake in two and spread the cream and strawberries onto the bottom part of the sponge. Place the top part of the cake on and repeat. Sprinkle some icing sugar and put the kettle on before slicing.