Another recipe which appeared in the Served magazine. Fish cakes are so satisfying and are great as a starter or a main meal. To make these fish cakes you will need,
Meagre fish cakes
- 600g meagre, known as Gurbell, filleted
- 1 spring onion
- 3 tbsp capers
- A handful of fresh mint
- ½ a sweet potato
- The rind of 1 lime
- 1 egg
- Coconut oil
- Step 1 Drizzle the fish with some oil, wrap in parchment paper and add a splash of water to the dish before placing in a preheated oven at 160 C fan.
- Step 2 Peel the sweet potato, chop and boil for around twelve minutes until soft. Strain and set aside. In a blender add the mint and lime rind and blend until mint and rind are in tiny pieces. Add the sweet potato, fish , seasoning and egg and pulse so all the ingredients mix together but don’t over mix as you will end up with a paste.
- Step 3 Add some polenta to a bowl and heat a pan with coconut oil, make the cakes with your hands, dip into the polenta and place the cakes into your pan and cook for a couple of minutes on each side.
- Step 4 I placed these cakes on vermicelli noodles which I shallow fried in some coconut oil. A dollop of mayo finishes off this dish perfectly.