One of the most comforting foods I find is mashed potato and the best part is a lovely sauce to go with it. I used mushrooms and carrots as they are full of flavors.
Veggie Shepherd's Pie
- 7 large potatoes
- 1 Onion
- Sunflower oil for cooking
- 300g mushrooms
- 5 large carrots
- 1 can organic kidney beans
- 250g fresh tomato sauce
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp mustard
- Step 1 Bring a pot of salted water to boil. Add the potatoes and cook until tender, this takes around 15 to 20 minutes.
- Step 2 Transfer your cooked potatoes to your electric beater and add 2 tablespoons wholegrain mustard and a table spoon of butter. Add a dash of milk and beat until creamy and smooth. Set aside.
- Step 3 Fry your onion in some cooking oil and add the cumin. Wash and slice the mushrooms and add to the pan. Peel and slice your carrots and add them to the pan and let them cook to a crunchy texture. Add your tomato sauce and keep mixing on a low heat as you don’t want your sauce to dry up. Add your kidney beans and let the whole thing simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Step 4 Get a dish and place your mash and pour the veg in the sauce over. Serve or set aside for later. This recipe serves 6 large portions.