In cookery classes at school, we were taught how to make short crust pastry. I practiced this at home once and my mum got hooked so the pastry job was assigned to me. I remember holidays around Christmas time were spent making pastry. I now make pastry in the blender however then I used to make pastry using the rubbing in method.
Short Crust Pastry
Make a batch and freeze once you are making, so much easier for next time round.
- 250g butter
- 400g flour for pastry
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp. water for binding
- Some extra flour for your surface
- Step 1 Make sure your butter is room temperature, cut it into cubes and place in the blender with the sieved flour.
- Step 2 Add your salt and pulse until you get breadcrumbs, this does not take long so don’t over pulse.
- Step 3 Add the water and pulse once more until the dough combines together.
- Step 4 Sprinkle the left over flour on your surface and place the dough on it. Knead the dough gently and wrap in cling film and chill. Use accordingly.