I was over at my mum and she asked me to taste the soup she had just made for her guests. She told me how she used chestnuts and I was intrigued to say the least. Whilst I was shopping for my veg I saw the chestnuts and bought a few to experiment. I really liked the outcome and I had a good friend over for dinner that night and she enjoyed it too.
Carrot Soup with Chestnuts
- 1 onion
- 200g chestnuts (shelled)
- 8 carrots
- 200ml vegetable stock
- 1 sweet potato
- 1 tsp cardamom
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 can organic coconut milk
- A fresh bunch of celery
- Step 1 Boil the chestnuts for around 50 min.
- Step 2 Fry an onion and cook until soft. Add your spices to the onion and toss.
- Step 3 Wash and peel your carrots, chop them and add them to the pot. Stir and add the stock. Add the celery and keep cooking the veg. I decided to add some of the liquid the chestnuts were cooking in, as there was a lovely smell.
- Step 4 Add your chestnuts and your coconut milk and let the soup simmer for a while. When the soup has cooled down, blend and serve. This recipe serves 6 portions.