My ultimate treat is a beef burger. As a kid, on a special occasion we would drive down to the Wimpy for a burger and a knickerbocker glory. It was heaven! It was such a happy place to be, where everyone was munching away and smiling. For the recipe below I made 4 large burgers and 6 small ones. Feel free to choose your size. I served them with caramelized onions and kale and beet chips. My nephew told me they were delicious am pleased to say!
- 1 kilo fresh minced beef
- 1 tablespoon chili tomato jam or chutney
- A handful of fresh mint and basil
- 1 tbsp. ground cumin
- 1 egg for binding
- 1 tbsp. sumac
- 1 tbsp. dried oregano
- 1 large onion
- 1 beetroot
- Fresh buns for your burger
- Fresh purple kale
- Step 1 Place your beef into a bowl and mix with a fork. Blend your mint and basil in your blender and add the spices plus seasoning. Add the chili jam too. Stir this mixture into your beef and add the egg.
- Step 2 Make burgers or patties with your hands and place on a baking sheet lined with baking paper. I baked them for around 15 to 20 minutes according to how you like your meat cooked.
- Step 3 Whilst they are baking prepare your caramelized onions. Peel and slice the onions and add them to a pan with a little bit of oil. Add a teaspoon of coconut sugar and let them cook. Set aside.
- Step 4 Wash your kale and place on a baking tray with a sprinkle of Himalayan salt and oil and bake. Wash and slice your beetroot into thin slices and repeat the same process as the kale.
- Step 5 Warm your buns so they will be crunchy, place the onions and a mustard or accompaniment of your choice. Place the burger and add your veggie chips plus you can always whip up a side salad too. Serve best warm.