I simply love calamari, they bring about so many fond memories of my childhood as one of our neighbours used to drop in with a lovely pot of calamari stew, and it was divine. Calamari also bring to mind summer holiday trips on beautiful Mediterranean islands where they are abundantly available and are cooked and served in many different ways too. To make this dish you will need the following ingredients
- 2 fresh calamari
- 150g bread crumbs (I used rye bread)
- 3 garlic cloves
- A handful of fresh basil
- 150g sun dried tomatoes
- 150g black pitted olives
- 150 samphire
- 1 lemon
- Sesame oil
- Balsamic vinegar
- Olive oil
- 1 red chilli
- Step 1 Ideally have your calamari cleaned and sliced when you buy them from your fishmonger. Place them in a bowl and pour some sesame oil, olive oil and balsamic vinegar over them plus the lemon juice. Mix the calamari into the marinade and season. Just add enough oil and vinegar to coat the rings. Season and chop up the chilli and add to the marinade together with the seeds to give it a nice spicy taste.
- Step 2 Get your blender and add your peeled garlic, basil and bread slices and blend them into bread crumbs smelling of summer and goodness. I used half and froze the rest for another recipe. Add some oil to a pan and make sure the pan is hot before adding the breadcrumbs and toast them into a nice crunch. Remove off the heat and set aside.
- Step 3 Get a griddle pan and add some oil, once hot add the calamari and chilli. I cooked them in batches and towards the end I sprinkled the washed samphire to grill too. Once the calamari and samphire are cooked I added them to the breadcrumbs mixture together with the marinade. I chopped up the sun dried tomatoes and olives and added them too.
- Step 4 You can serve this on a bed of rocket as a starter or with some grains of your choice as a main. I served three generous portions with these ingredients.