This was one of the recipes I created for Served magazine, I had to create three recipes using aubergines and am sharing the first one with you. I prepared three recipes and had so much fun, decorating the food and table. I simply love these pretty edible flowers.
This is a wonderful way to enjoy aubergine’s in no time at all on a crunchy sheet of pastry drizzled with a tahini dressing. To make this delicious tart you will need,
- 250g vegan puff pastry
- 1 aubergine
- 2 beetroots
- Olive oil
- Balsamic vinegar
- 60g goat’s cheese
- 80g walnuts
- A sprinkle of coco sugar
- 200g black olives
- 1 clove garlic
- 2tsp tahini
- 1tbsp olive oil
- A dash of good quality honey
- Step 1 I bought ready made pastry. I baked it blind at 160C for around 20 minutes and then removed the pastry from the flan dish and turned it out onto a flat tray and baked the underneath for another ten minutes so the pastry was nice and crunchy. Set aside.
- Step 2 Wash your aubergine and cut it length ways. Place each slice on a baking dish and drizzle with oil and season. Bake them at 160C for around 25 minutes until the flesh is cooked and the aubergine has browned. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Step 3 Get a pan, peel and chop your garlic, add some olive oil and cook the garlic. Add the olives and cook for around 10 minutes and switch off. The olives will be nice and soft and easy to eat with the pit. Set them aside.
- Step 4 I used the ready cooked beetroots. I sliced them thinly, placed them on a dish and seasoned and added olive oil and balsamic vinegar and tossed the beets in the oil and vinegar. I then added the aubergines and coated them too in the oil and vinegar. Crush your walnuts and break the goats’s cheese in small pieces with your hands.
- Step 5 Get the pastry, place on your serving dish. Layer the veg, add the goat’s cheese and walnuts and olives. Prepare your dressing by adding the tahini and oil into a bowl and mixing them well and add some honey.Decorate with edible flowers. Pour this over the tart and one last dash of olive oil for good measure.